New Zealand’s newest and most exciting wine growing region, with the first commercial vintage being in 2004. Like Burgundy, the soils are limestone based. These soils lend an incredible ethereal nature to the wines, which are highlighted by perfume and minerality. Slightly cooler than Central Otago, the Waitaki Valley should not be cropped as heavily, and therefore Valli’s Waitaki Vineyard is close planted at 5000 vines per hectare with early ripening clones from Dijon and Pommard.
Location: Grant’s Road, Waitaki
- Climate: Maritime-influenced
- Altitude: 200m
- Clones: 115, 777, Abel, UCD 5, 114
- Soils: Limestone-based soil spread through river gravels.
- GDD: Approx. 800
- Rainfall: Approx. 530mm per Annum
- Vine Age: Planted 2004 - 2005
- Vine Density: 5,000 / Hectare
- Trellis System: VSP